Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
seer_tenedos #1
Member since Jun 2010 · 3 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: private/secure multi client communication
Hi,
In my app i have several clients that talk to each other directly and this works perfectly but now i need for a client to be able to send a notification or event to all my other clients. 

Just in case it makes a difference i am using Googles servers and my own Google apps domain.

Only partly related but how secure is this protocol?  is it easy to send fake messages pretending to be someone you are not?  Just trying to workout how much encryption and protection i really need.

Chris
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4322 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by seer_tenedos:
Only partly related but how secure is this protocol?  is it easy to send fake messages pretending to be someone you are not?  Just trying to workout how much encryption and protection i really need.
Its impossible to spoof packets in XMPP like you can in SMTP.
All traffic on your connection is encrypted with TLS by default.

Alex
seer_tenedos #3
Thanks Alex.  Any idea how i can go about notifications or messages to all my clients? 

I have tried having them all login using the same username but different resource names and sending a message to jsut the username but that only sent the message to one client not all of them.  If i send it from another user that seems to work.

Is there any way to tell a server to send a message to multi users?

Chris
Alex #4
Quote by seer_tenedos:
Any idea how i can go about notifications or messages to all my clients? 

I have tried having them all login using the same username but different resource names and sending a message to jsut the username but that only sent the message to one client not all of them.  If i send it from another user that seems to work.

Is there any way to tell a server to send a message to multi users?

there are some solutions for 1->n distribution of messages in XMPP. When you want to use the Google servers only then I guess the resource approach, XEP-0045-Multi-User Chat or a bot which has all your users on the contact list would be the only solution. Google just enabled MUC on their servers some days ago.
If you run your own XMPP server which supports more XMPP features there are other solutions as well.

Alex
seer_tenedos #5
Is there example code of the multi user chat anywhere?
Alex #6
in the MiniClient example.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS