Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
hardboy111 #1
Member since Apr 2007 · 13 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: pubsub node implementation questions HEEELP PLZ!
Hi All,

Is it possible to use the agsxmpp library to implement a pubsub node component that works with an external xmpp server (e.g. openfire, ejabberd)?

I dont want to have to implement a xmpp server. If someone could shed some light on this that would be much appreciated.

cheers
mikey
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4297 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
yes it is. You have to configure your server to accept component connections and use XmppComponentConnection class to connect to your server and implement the pubsub classes.

Alex
hardboy111 #3
Great stuff.

My other question was - can i do admin tasks from an external component? Such as adding/removing users and creating groups?

Also are you aware oif any examples or articles of how I go about implementing a component - ive looked at the api documentation but theres little description on there to get an angle on this.

Thanks

Mikey
Alex #4
Quote by hardboy111:
My other question was - can i do admin tasks from an external component? Such as adding/removing users and creating groups?

there are no protocols defined in the XEPs for this. This depends on the serve rimplementation. With some servers you can, with others you can't.

Quote by hardboy111:
Also are you aware oif any examples or articles of how I go about implementing a component - ive looked at the api documentation but theres little description on there to get an angle on this.

there should be a basic component example in the samples directory.
A component normally has a Jid of the format comp.server.com. If a user sends a stanza to comp.server.com then the server routes it to your component without any further processing. It up to you t process the stanza and send back a response when required.
hardboy111 #5
cool. So which servers specifically could I do the adding and removing of users with from a component?

The other option would be to connect to maybe openfires web services interface - although ideally id like to do it from with any xmpp component i build.

Cheers

Mike
Alex #6
this should be possible with the most servers. But this features are not documented very well. The transports to other IM systems modify your roster and they work as external components with the most server.
hardboy111 #7
Ok.

Once I set up a pubsub node, is there a restriction on the number of users that can publish information to it? So i could define a number of jid addresses that can publish info to the node.

Basically, in my system - i have a number of communities of users, my technical approach would be to define a community as a pubsub node, where each community member can publish to the pubsub node that represents their community and all other members (subscribers) can receive those messages.

Cheers

Mike
Alex #8
Quote by hardboy111:
Once I set up a pubsub node, is there a restriction on the number of users that can publish information to it? So i could define a number of jid addresses that can publish info to the node.

normally not. But this depends on the node configuration the the PubSub server you are using.
You can find more info in th PubSub XEP-0060

Alex
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS