Forum: agsXMPP RSS
Specific to GMail
Jean #1
Member since Sep 2008 · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Invisible Mode Question
Hi,
I am developing a WM6 client in C#, just for the purpose of learning new things. My question is how to distinguish between Invisible mode and Offline mode of GMail? I mean both of these send Presence.unavailable ShowType. So if I want to remove a contact from my list, how do I make sure he/she hasn't gone in invisible mode.
Thanks.
Jean.
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4317 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
you can't.
But first let me sa that invisible is not supported in the XMPP core. Invisible is a feature of some XMPP clients, but most XMPP protocol developers and myself don't like the invisible mode and we don't like to see it in XMPP.

If you goto invisible than you want that other contacts can't see you. If you want that they see your presence based on black and whitelists you have to send directed presence to this contacts.

In XMPP you should use privacy lists instead of the invisible extensions. See also the following links.

Alex
javanesevn #3
Member since Apr 2008 · 74 posts · Location: Japan
Hi Alex,

Could you explain me why XSF members don't like invisible in their presence features? Thanks.
Alex #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 4317 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
The invisible XEP was rejected because using a presence type of invisible is disallowed in the RFCs. Privacy lists are the way to go when you
want to block outgoing stanzas (presences) to some of your contacts.

I can't speak for other XSF members or active XMPP developers. Invisible makes no sense for me. I know that it is popular in other IM clients which have visible and invisible lists. You can do exactly the same with privacy lists.

But why should I hide my presence to some of my contacts? I approved the subsription request from this contacts to share my presence.

Alex
javanesevn #5
Member since Apr 2008 · 74 posts · Location: Japan
Thank you, Alex.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS