Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
javanesevn #1
Member since Apr 2008 · 74 posts · Location: Japan
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Client auto update feature
Dear all,

How do I implement auto update feature in xmpp client? I took overview this XEP http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0099.html but I have some confuse about data for updating. How do I setting up an update server? and client know new data location?

Thank in advanced.

Best,

Le
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4317 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
There is no recommended method for this in xmpp. I think most xmpp clients to this like most other non-xmpp software over HTTP.
But of course you can write a xmpp server module or component for this.

Alex
javanesevn #3
Thank you very much.

Best,
ayyrk #4
Member since Jul 2007 · 92 posts
Group memberships: Members, Premium
We took one of the routes Alex suggested: We implemented an auto update component.

On the server side there's a component that can compare version numbers and deliver a new CAB file to the device.  On the client side there's a reboot state machine that checks for new CABs installs them, resets the device etc..

It is pretty simple meaning it doesn't support things like resuming downloads after an error, but it does work. Once a day the application checks for updates and pops up a "toast" message informing the user of new software.  The user can press a button to download the updates and then optionally reset the device to apply them.

The server component supports  a "release folder" and a "beta folder". That lets us set up a couple of users against the beta folder and have them test new code before promoting it to the release folder.

-Ayyrk
javanesevn #5
Thank you Ayyrk,

Thank you for your advice. I am really new with .Net world. So I will deploy my application with Click Once. It sounds simple like its name.
I use Apache web server on Linux. You have experienced about it?

Best,
This post was edited on 2008-07-24, 11:02 by javanesevn.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS