Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
Necromantici #1
Member since Apr 2008 · 6 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Use talk.google.com with a GTalk account instead of GMail account
Hi everyone!

Im developing an open source application and I need to allow users to connect with custom google accounts. For example, i have the account someuser@somedomain.com and I can use it to log in Google. I went to the talk.google.com site then clicked on launch GTalk then clicked on Create Account and created this account.

When I try to use XMPP I always receive auth error. But if I use the username that I specified when creating the account it works.

How can I allow users to use their email (non gmail.com or googlemail.com domain) account instad of their username???

Thanks in advance...
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4317 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Hello,

this is not possible by default. You can only use your own domains if you use Google Apps for your domain and the xmpp service is enabled there.
You also have to add the proper srv-records for your domain.

see: http://www.google.com/a/

Alex
Necromantici #3
Hi Alex, thanks for answering but Im not considering Google Apps for your domain. I mean, what I nees is something like having a Microsoft Passport.NET account with a mail like someone@server.com. MS allows you to use that to login on Messenger. Likewise, I have an account in Google (i got it at https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?service=talk, where at the top of it asks your current email). If I go to GTalk and try to login using someone@server.com as username, it works and you can see when you logoff. And that email and the account are not ones of Google Apps for your domain.
Alex #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 4317 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
To get xmpp working correctly you need Google Apps for your domain or install your own XMPP server.
XMPP does not work like MSN where you have one central server which is controlled by Microsoft. XMPP is a decentralized technology similar to email. You can only route messages in XMPP when DNS is setup correctly, which is only working when you setup your own server and DNS correctly, or host it somewhere else which eg. Google offers with Google Apps for your domain.

I don't know what they do when you login with another domain than gmail.com and don't use Google apps. But this cannot work correctly.

Alex
Necromantici #5
Got it. Ill try to reach someone at GTalk to ask about this. Many thanks!!!
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS