Forum: agsXMPP RSS
Web based XMPP code needed for applying in real-time web application
emperor #1
Member since Apr 2008 · 6 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Web based XMPP application
Hi,

I was assigned to develop a web application using xmpp. The concept is there will be two client screens one is administrator & the other is user. Once the administrator updates or inserts anything, the same must reflect in the user page. This application seems to be a sort of messenger, but I am struck up how to implement it. I have my ejabberd server & agsXMPP installed, but don't know what the roll XMPP plays here & where to fix it. This application can be done without XMPP also using AJAX & other techs but we need this to be done using XMPP only. Can anyone guide me with some code samples and a flow. :huh:
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4449 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
If you don't know much about XMPP then you should first get familiar a bit with XMPP technologies at:
http://www.xmpp.org
http://www.jabber.org

ejabberd is a XMPP server, if you have to work with ejabberd then there is no way to work without XMPP ;-).
You should also use Ajax.

Alex
emperor #3
Is it possible to implement a database driven application using XMPP. This is the part where I got struck-up. Can you please give me a code how to read/Insert a record from/into database using XMPP?
Jabberer #4
Member since Feb 2006 · 249 posts
Quote by emperor:
Is it possible to implement a database driven application using XMPP.
A detailed description about your project, and the role XMPP should play in your project would help.
Software Developer
AG-Software
emperor #5
We are implementing a task tracking application. Once a new task is assigned to a user it must be reflected in the user's GUI (as in the case of a chat application) without reloading the page. I am not sure where the part of XMPP comes here; but I was asked to check the feasibility to implement this by using XMPP. Actually the thing is, once the task is submitted it will hit the database for update & at the same time, the change must also be reflected in the UI without postback (i.e. the change must reflect in the client's web page automatically). To say simply, think of a web based chat application implemented using XMPP, but the conversation will hit the DB (for storing all conversations) before it is shown in the user's UI.
Alex #6
Member since Feb 2003 · 4449 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
yes I think XMPP is what you are looking for. All chat features are build in. And depending on the server software you choose storing/archiving all conversations is build in already in the server software.
Applying changes to the UI without postbacks is not related to the underlaying technology. This should be possible with all advanced technologies and Ajax.

Alex
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS