Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
tjabber #1
Member since Feb 2008 · 42 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Is there additional doc?
So far I'm pretty impressed with the SDK, the mini client example, and the support on this forum. Very nice and helpful.

What I'm wondering is though is there additional documentation? For example, when I look at the PacketGrabber doc, it doesn't say what the class is for or how it might be used. And that's pretty much the same for all the class doc. It seems like it will be hard to make sense of without some explanations in the documentation.
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4317 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Hello tjabber,

there is the documentation which comes with the SDK.
You can also see it online here: http://www.ag-software.net/content/agsxmpp/doc/

I think good examples are always better than every documentation. This is why we are currenty also working on new examples and small code snippets for many use cases. Some of this is already in SVN.

The PacketGrabber is a base class only which is used for other Grabber classes (IqGrabber and MessageGrabber). Maybe we should make it abstract. The IqGrabber is used a lot in the library itself and also in the MiniClient example. Take a look at the vcard code. It creates a vcard request (iq) and sends it with the IgGrabber. In the IqGRabber you define a callback function for the result of the iq. The callback gets called when you get the result, in this case the vcard you requested. This technique is very useful, because otherwise you would have to pass the result iq from you main form or main class OnIq handler to the correct object or form with lots of unreadable if-clauses.
Let me know if this answers your question.

We also offer developer trainings to reduce the period of vocational adjustment which speeds up the development process.

Alex
This post was edited on 2008-02-08, 06:43 by Alex.
tjabber #3
> I think good examples are always better than every documentation.

I'll take both if you don't mind :-)

Something like you wrote would help a lot in building up what everything is, why it is, and how it works together. When I see grabber I ask what is a grabber? Why do I need it? How do I use it? That sort of thing. For example, you mention getting a vcard. But you have an Iq grabber and a message grabber, where do vacrds come in?

Don't get me wrong, still a great job, but writing some of the intent in the class doc while coding would help the examples and the doc reinforce each other.

Thanks!
Alex #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 4317 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by tjabber:
For example, you mention getting a vcard. But you have an Iq grabber and a message grabber, where do vacrds come in?
this IqGrabber is used for Iq stanzas. iq's have always a unique id, or at least they should have. Based on the unique id the Grabber is lookin for the result and raising the callback.
Message normally have no id and the MessageGrabber can be used to filter messages from a specific full or bare Jid.

Quote by tjabber:
Don't get me wrong, still a great job, but writing some of the intent in the class doc while coding would help the examples and the doc reinforce each other.
I don't get you wrong. We have only limited resources. More documentations will definitively come in the future. IF you have any questions post them here in the forums. We try to answer all postings as fast as possible.

Alex
tjabber #5
As I'm hitting more of the code I'm noticing more doc. Perhaps the first few classes were just an unlucky sample :-)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS