Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
frazzled82 #1
Member since Nov 2007 · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Multichat
Hi everyone,

just wanted to ask if it is possible to create a multi-person chatroom with non-Jabber contacts, i.e. those where messages are sent via transport service. I think I read somewhere that in such a case only one-to-one chats are possible...

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4447 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
It would be possible if the transports support conferencing.

AFAIK all of the current open source transports currently only support the basic features of messaging and presence which does not include conferencing. And proprietary protocols make it not easier to add this features ;-).

Alex
Koterpillar #3
Member since May 2007 · 32 posts · Location: Russia
In reply to post #1
I've seen a separate transport named "MSN (or was it AIM?) Transport Chatrooms", it allowed a Jabber user to participate in that system's conferences. But, haven't tried it.
nebohodimo IM developer
Alex #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 4447 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
pyMSNt [1] sais on the news page:

• Groupchat timeout is configurable

This sounds to me like groupchat is supported.

[1] http://delx.cjb.net/pymsnt/?page=news
Koterpillar #5
Member since May 2007 · 32 posts · Location: Russia
Pretty limited though:
Chatting with friends

* To chat with a MSN user you perform the same process you would for a Jabber user, simply double-click their name in your contact list, and chat type a message.
    * To start a groupchat (more than one person in a "room") with MSN users you must do the following.
          o Join a room on the msn.host.com server (where host.com is your Jabber server). The room name is not important, just make sure it does not have a % sign in it.
          o Invite your MSN contacts to this room to chat with them
          o Note that you cannot invite other Jabber users to this room. Attempts to do so will fail. This will not be possible in the future either
nebohodimo IM developer
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS