Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP SDK Support RSS
koder #1
Member since Aug 2007 · 4 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: presence server to presence server communication
Hi,

I am student and new to the Presence Model und Protocols.

I have in my student project the following scenario:

company A wants to develop a presence service PA. The presence service PA should get the data from the presence server PB of an other Company B over the Internet. The Presence information of PA should be made available in the Company A for different applications.

my question:
can PA poll or subscribe all changed/updated Presence Information from PB regularly. Or it should request the Presence Information of each Presentity individually?

which Presence server can implement the presence service PA.
What should I do if PB uses another Protokoll?

Thank you and Best Regards
Koder
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4245 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Hello,

the presence model you are looking for is build in in XMPP. All you need are 2 xmpp servers. One for each company. Or one server which can host both companies with virtual XMPP hosts.
If both companies use different protocols for presence you can plugin a gateway to your xmpp server which translates the protocol from and to xmpp. There exist already many transports for various protocols, e.g. icq, msn, aim, yahoo, irc smtp, sms etc...

Take a look at the XMPP RFC's 3920 and 3921.  After you are familiar with xmpp, the precence and subscription model you can use our library for you project.
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
koder #3
Hello,

I found your library very useful. I will work with it.

The presence model, what I need, is possible with xmpp, because it has a server-to-server protocol. is not?

So far I know, SIP/SIMPLE has not a server-to-server protocol. Do you know, how can I make this model with a SIMPLE server? I need the information, because I should make a comparison in my project.

Vielen Dank im Voraus :-)
Koder
Alex #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 4245 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
XMPP is a distributed network. And of course XMPP has server to server communication which we call s2s.
So you can see XMPP like SMTP. Everybody could install his own XMPP server and they can communicate to each other. Like you can send an email from one domain to another domain.

I can't help you with SIP/SIMPLE because i don't know this protocol very well.
But on http://blog.xmpp.org you can find some posts which compare XMPP and SIP/SIMPLE.

Alex
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
koder #5
Hi Alex,

I downloaded your SDK. There is a good documentation about the libraries, a lot of code and good samples.

For my exmaple I have installed Openfire as a server and want to make with your SDS a server, which polls periodically the status of all the users registrated on Openfire. Can you give me a tip, how should I start?

Thank you in advance.
BR
Koder
Jabberer #6
Member since Feb 2006 · 249 posts
you can't write a server which polls the status of any person. Only subscribed persons are able to get you status. And the server sends the status to all subscribed contacts automatically on each update.
I think you did not understood the XMPP presence/subscribe model correct yet.
Software Developer
AG-Software
koder #7
Hi,

I have the following scenario and I am searching for a solution.

I have many business partners "B", "C" and "D", each of them has his own presence server "PB", "PC" and "PD".

I need in my organisation "A" a presence service "PA", who "mirros" the actual status of all the users on PB, PC and PD, to whom I subscribed.

I know, that I could implement my presence service PA as a client, who subscribes to all the users on PB, PC and PD. What I am asking for: is there an other solution?

1. Can I be on the one hand a client of the servers PB, PC, PD, and on the other hand a "server" for other applications/clients/servers.

2. Can I say to the other servers PB, PC and PD "hey, I am a presence server (and not a client), would you please send me each change of the status of my users, to whom I subscribed".

3. Can I make benefit of the s2s protocol in my scenario?

You can say: What I want to have, is a local presence service in my organisation, who localy mirros many others presence servers of other partners. How would be your solution?

Thank you for your help and your patience.
Gruß
Koder
Jabberer #8
Member since Feb 2006 · 249 posts
if you run a "standard xmpp server" in each company you can't benefit from s2s, because s2s has a dialback mechanism for security reasons. Before the servers sbeds you the presence it checks dns and makes a dialback connection. Which means the server will always connect to the real server and not to your program.

You can modify or extend existing servers pretty easy. I would suggest to write a custom extensions which stores the presence for all users in a database. Then you can fetch the precence data from the database for all users.

Another way is to write a bot which all users have on their contact list. The bot gets all the precences and you can do whatever you want with them.

Some servers (eg. Tigase) have custom extensions where you can subscribe to the precence from a component.
Software Developer
AG-Software
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP SDK Support RSS