Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP SDK Support RSS
happyspider #1
Member since May 2007 · 1 post
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Does it work within Silverlight 1.1
Hi,
does the source code compile in a Silverlight Project under Orcas Beta?

I need to receive Messages in a Silverlight-application und thought about an IM Protokoll to use for that.

Any hints?

Mathias
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4245 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Hello,

we haven't tried to compile the code in Orcas Beta yet. But i see no reason why it should not compile, the code is compatible with all .NET versions.

Alex
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
BKBiker #3
Member since Nov 2007 · 2 posts
I am currently developing a Chat Application using Silverlight 1.1 and agsXMPP SDK. At I have implemented part of my code in a Windows Form Application, because it was easier for me to develop, being new to Silverlight and XMPP, but when I tried to work in Silverlight with agsXMPP I had a very big surprise.

agsXMPP crashed even from when I tried to make a new instance of a XmppClientConnection() because it uses System.Collections.Specialized.ListDictionary and the namespace System.Collections.Specialized is not included in the Silverlight SDK.

In my opinion it does not work and as a solution to this problem I am trying to develop and implement a WCF service.

If  anybody has a good ideea about this issue I wold really like to know it too.
Alex #4
the Silverlight class library is only a light version of the .NET class library. Its even very light compared to the CF.
So there are many missing classes which is the reason why agsXMPP does not run without major modification.
There are even no sockets in Silverlight.

Alex
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
BKBiker #5
Member since Nov 2007 · 2 posts
Yes, thanks for the answer Alex.

I’ve seen that after further “digging”. Microsoft released the 1.1 Alpha version of Silverlight with a purpose to get feedbacks from programmers to see what is necessary to introduce in a further release.

I will study the XMPP and Silverlight issue for a few more days. In your opinion Framework 3 offers a possibility to manage XMPP in Silverlight in this moment or I need to wait for the next release of Silverlight?

Could the use of Silverlight and WCF be a solution?

I am really eager to hear your answer and your opinion.

Thanks again.
Alex #6
Hello BKBiker,

first Silverlight is very interesting for us and I also studied the Silverlight SDK for that reason a while ago.

• The Siverlight is a stripped down version of the .NET and even the Compact Framework. There are many missing classes to compile agsXMPP with the Silverlight SDK. So we would have to write this classes on our own, use wrapper classes, borrow the from Mono or replace them with Silverlight classes.
  • XMPP is using TCP/IP as transport layer with raw sockets and TLS. Both is not supported in Silverlight. But there are extensions for XMPP to use HTTP as the transport layer. They are called HTTP-Polling and HTTP-Binding. Polling is supported in agsXMPP for a long time now and Binding is supported in our latest developer code. HTTP is also supported in Silverlight. So this is the way to go. The problem there is only that many XMPP servers don't support this extensions or the extensions are not enabled. If you run your own service this is not a problem because you could offer this service.

so the conclusion is that its possible to port agsXMPP to Silverlight. But its nothing which could be done in a day or two. We also did not have any requests for Silverlight yet which means it currently has no priority on our TODO list.

Alex
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
Alex #7
did some more work on Silverlight today and stumbled over this:

Quote by MSDN:
note:
The BrowserHttpWebRequest class does not currently support cross-domain calls. The current release of BrowserHttpWebRequest requires the Silverlight-based application to be hosted on the same server as the target ASP.NET AJAX Web service.

this sounds to me like cross domain request are impossible at the moment. If this is true then the XMPP server must always run on the same domain as the Silverlight application :(.

That means you could not write a webchat which connects to jabber.org or other public XMPP servers.

Alex
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP SDK Support RSS