Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP SDK Support RSS
jshamid #1
Member since Feb 2007 · 30 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Vcard Notification
hi, In my application i have implemented ToolTip form which shows some Vcard information of users when we move the mouse over tree view roster. My question is: if any body change the vcard information how can i get updated infomation in my ToolTip form.
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4245 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
you can't. There is no notification if a vCard gets updated on one of your contacts.
The only way to know that is to retrieve the vcard again and compare it.
But it's a good idea to retrieve vCards to often (e.g. every 5 minutes).

You should use other extensions like Publish Subscribe and Personal Eventing via Pubsub if you need notifications for your tooltips.

Alex
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
draekz #3
Member since Nov 2007 · 17 posts
There should be a way to obtain the fact that a new photo exists from the presence data.

Inside the presence, a special tag should be included, and it seems agsXMPP doesnt do it.

Its:

<presence id="62">
<priority>50</priority>
<show>chat</show>
<x xmlns="vcard-temp:x:update">
<photo>859a34c83cc5231f68b3abf78d1e3b55cb809e28</photo>
</x>
<c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps" node="http://gajim.org/caps" ext="xhtml cstates" ver="0.11.2" />
</presence>

This would state that there is a photo and thats a hash of some kind.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get agsXMPP to send this as well... Alex? Maybe you have some insight on this?
Alex #4
its a very bad idea to send all this data in xmpp with each presence packet.
I know that there are existing clients which do that.

vcard-temp:x:update is not supported in agsXMPP now and its not on our TODO list. You have to add it yourself.

Alex
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
This post was edited on 2007-11-28, 19:18 by Alex.
draekz #5
Member since Nov 2007 · 17 posts
Well, the fact still remains that when you change certain data, the contacts who subscribe to you should know.

It doesn't make sense that when you update your nickname or your picture, that the people who have you in their list would not be notified. It is a flaw in the XMPP system as far as I'm concerned.

Nickname, Status, Photo, etc should all be notified seperately, not in chunks. Right now we have to update the whole vcard to get nickname and photo, and we have to set status to notify others of our picture, its like its all disorganized.

And when you say its bad to send all that... well how else will it be done? I agree it shouldn't be send with presence, but its the only way.. isnt it?
Alex #6
Hello draekz,

What you are looking for is not in the XMPP Core and there is no extensions defined yet which does exactly what you want.

But what you are looking for can and should be done with those 2 extensions:
XEP-0060: Publish-Subscribe
XEP-0207: XMPP Eventing via Pubsub

this Xeps implement the publisher-subscriber pattern and will notify for of changes with or without payload in the notification.

Alex
Alexander Gnauck
AG-Software
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP SDK Support RSS