Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
sreedevi1984 #1
Member since Oct 2006 · 38 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Inviting another friend to chat (not group chat)
Hi,

I wanted to know whether there is any option in jabber to invite another friend to chat (not group chat ). i.e. Suppose two persons are in a one to one chat...Then if one of those persons want to invite a third person into this chat, without specifying any room name, is there any option? Please help me..

Thanks in advance...
Sreedevi.
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4288 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
yes this is possible.

see: XEP-0045 7.6 Converting a One-to-One Chat Into a Conference
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#continue

One person of the one-to-one chat creates a new room and invites the other persons.

Alex
sreedevi1984 #3
yes I have seen that link. But the problem is that we have to specify and create a new room for inviting another friend...But I want to invite another friend without specifying any room name...Is it possible?

Sreedevi
This post was edited on 2007-01-31, 07:08 by sreedevi1984.
Jabberer #4
Member since Feb 2006 · 249 posts
yes, but i don't think this is a problem. Most XMPP servers also run a MUC server.

• discover the MUC service and its jid
  • use a algorithm to create a random room name, or just use a GUID for the room name
  • create the new room
  • invite your contacts

everything is automated and you don't have to specify a room name
Software Developer
AG-Software
sreedevi1984 #5
if I want to make this random-named room to be configured as temporary room, how can I proceed ?

sreedevi
Alex #6
Hello,

If you configure the room as a not persistent it will be destroyed automatically when the last occupant leaves the room.

Alex
sreedevi1984 #7
how can we make change in the configuration. By using the function RequestConfigurationForm of MucManager class, I got the existing configuration of the room? But how to change that ?

Sreedevi
Alex #8
When you create a room the server sends the configuration room to you as the owner of the room. The configuration is a x-data from which you have to submit.
You can also create an instant room and submit an empty form which means you accept the default configuration.

see also: XEP-0004: Data Forms

Alex
tjabber #9
Member since Feb 2008 · 42 posts
Would it make sense to make all chats occur in a room so that nothing special has to be done if another person is invited?
Alex #10
sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Alex
tjabber #11
Sure. Thanks.

The idea would be to create a room for every 1-1 chat by default. That way when you want to add someone to the chat you wouldn't need to promote the 1-1 chat to a room. Users wouldn't have to know the promotion is happening at all.
Alex #12
yes you can convert a one-one chat to a conference. But this makes sense IMHO only if more people are interested to join this room.
This scenario is described here:
Converting a One-to-One Chat Into a Multi-User Conference

Alex
tjabber #13
The IM client I'm working in offers the opportunity to add a participant to a chat at any time. My understanding is that to convert to a multi user chat the person I'm chatting with would have to be reinvited to a chat room. This isn't how the current system works and really breaks the flow. So my thought was to create a situation where a secondary invitation wasn't necessary by creating a chat room in the first. Especially as multi user chats are fairly popular.
Alex #14
you have no secondary invitation. You have one to one chats which need no invite. At any time later you can convert the one to one chat into a conference with one invite.

Alex
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS