Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
tradle #1
Member since Jan 2007 · 10 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: server useage?
Sorry everybody - I'm a newbie in the open source world and am trying to get my arms around the whole idea.  I'm developing my own client using the SDK, and obviously need to connect to something.  Do I need to develop and host my own server, or can I connect to one of the existing servers out there (jabbered, jabber.org, etc.)?  This may be a really silly question to ask, but I just want to be sure that what I perceive as "open source" is correct.

Thanks,
Tim
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4317 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Hello tradle,

sure you need a server to connect to, but this has nothing to do with the open source idea and GPL.
You can connect to every server which is XMPP compliant.

This means:
  • you can choose one of the public servers
  • you can install your own server on your domain or local developer machine (there are many free and commercial servers available)
  • you also can develop your own server

developing a own server is not a trivial task, even if you do this with our SDK. If you are new to XMPP then i would recommend to create an account on one of the public servers first.

Here is a very small incomplete list of public servers:
http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.shtml

Alex
tradle #3
Alex -

Thank you so much for your quick reply!  I apologize - didn't get too much sleep last night, and now that I'm fully awake, well, I realize that I probably didn't write my question correctly.

You addressed my inner question, though, so thanks!  I just didn't know whether or not I could use one of the XMPP servers out there, or if I had to develop one of my own.

Regards,
Tim
Alex #4
you can use one of the existing public servers.
However during development it's sometimes better to run a local server on the developer machine. Wildfire is a good choice for that.

Alex
tradle #5
Alex -

I have one other rather trivial question to ask.  I've looked all through the forum, white papers and samples, but still cannot properly discern what a Resource is.  In the MiniClient sample, it's "MiniClient" - so that could be the namespace, the dialog itself, or just a text-based identifier.  Could you point me to the right place so that I can better understand what a XMPPClientConnection.Resource is?

Thanks,
Tim
Alex #6
Hello tradle,

in XMPP a user can have multiple connections to a server at the same time. But the resource has to be different then.
This means the resource is used to identify a client connection. The resource is just a string and could be anything.

common resources in applications are:
  • the application name (Exodus, PSI, Pandion etc..)
  • the location (Home, Office, Laptop etc...)
  • a random or application specific ID/string

Alex
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS