Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: MatriX RSS
LarsKJ #1
Member since Mar 2015 · 12 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Matrix references WPF
Hi,

Since started evaluate Matrix I have seen that the process (WinForms app) are also loading the entire WPF framework (PresentationCore, PresentationFramework and WindowsBase). Those assemblies are among the largest in .Net, it would be very nice if Matrix would be kept clean of any UI framework (WinForms, WPF), and deliver those as optional libraries, i.e. Matrix.Core, Matrix.WinForms, Matrix.WPF etc.

You have a good opportunity in the upcoming version 2 to make such a change, Reactive extension has a nice separation.

Whats more is that Matrix.Core ideally be made into a PCL which would make it much easier to handle in a multi platform scenario.

Regards
Lars Krog-Jensen
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4322 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Hello Lars,

Quote by LarsKJ:
Since started evaluate Matrix I have seen that the process (WinForms app) are also loading the entire WPF framework (PresentationCore, PresentationFramework and WindowsBase). Those assemblies are among the largest in .Net, it would be very nice if Matrix would be kept clean of any UI framework (WinForms, WPF), and deliver those as optional libraries, i.e. Matrix.Core, Matrix.WinForms, Matrix.WPF etc.

those assemblies are loaded because of the AutoInvoke feature. Its required to invoke events to the WPF or WinForms GUI. Most of our users love the feature because it keeps their code clean from invokes.
But its on our TODO list to offer also a leightweight version of MatriX on Nuget without Winforms and WPF references in the future.

Quote by LarsKJ:
You have a good opportunity in the upcoming version 2 to make such a change, Reactive extension has a nice separation.

MatriX 2.0 is released for a while. You can find all packages on NuGet.
https://www.nuget.org/profiles/agsoftware

Quote by LarsKJ:
Whats more is that Matrix.Core ideally be made into a PCL which would make it much easier to handle in a multi platform scenario.

we would love to offer a PCL version of MatriX. But in the PCL profile there is still lots of stuff missing which makes it impossible right now to offer a PCL version of MatriX.

Alex
This post was edited on 2015-09-07, 20:10 by Alex.
LarsKJ #3
A light weight version would be nice, any time frame on that ;)

Concerning PCL, the common way would to be for Matrix to load non-PCL stuff from a platform specific dependency module.

Regards
Lars
Alex #4
Quote by LarsKJ:
A light weight version would be nice, any time frame on that ;)

we have that already for registered customers, its just not public on NuGet yet. Contact me directly by Email and I can send it to you.

Quote by LarsKJ:
Concerning PCL, the common way would to be for Matrix to load non-PCL stuff from a platform specific dependency module.

we thought about that before, but thats not the main idea of the PCL. And this would require lots of internal code refactoring to support this. Our customers use MatriX on 9 different platforms, and many of them cannot always go with the latest .NET features which makes stuff like that sometimes very hard for us.

Alex
Alex #5
you can find it here now:
https://www.nuget.org/packages/MatriX.Light/

Alex
LarsKJ #6
Holy, that was fast, thanks alot - we are very soon boarding as studio customer.

Regards
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: MatriX RSS