Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: MatriX and XmppDotNet RSS
DeanBlakely #1
User title: Android/.Net Developer
Member since Apr 2014 · 1 post · Location: tucson, AZ
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Newbie XMPP .Net questions
OK, this is my first time here and I ask you to please tolerate my basic questions . . .

I develop Android Phone apps in Java that are supported by my REST server code written in asp.net Web api environment in C#.  I now want to implement a Google Cloud Connection Server (CCS) using XMPP in order to enable communication between my apps.  Since all of my existing server code is at my asp.net servers, I want to write the GCM CSS server in the C# .NET environment instead of Java.

So, I have some initial questions to help me get started using the proper software . . .

1.    It looks like the MatriX XMPP software is out of my price range.  Is the agsXMPP software under the GPL license free of cost? My software sales are at the "Hobby" level at this time.

2.    If neither of the SDKs are free, can you recommend a workable free .NET XMPP SDK?

3.    Is using the agsXMPP SDK to write a GCM server a proper, necessary, and workable solution?

4.    Has anyone else already done what I want to do?

Thanks,
Dean
This post was edited on 2014-04-02, 20:45 by Alex.
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4447 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Quote by DeanBlakely:
1.    It looks like the MatriX XMPP software is out of my price range.  Is the agsXMPP software under the GPL license free of cost? My software sales are at the "Hobby" level at this time.

you can use agsXMPP either under the GPL, or a commercial license which exempts you from the GPL. When the GPL license is fine for your project then agsXMPP is free of course.

Quote by DeanBlakely:
3.    Is using the agsXMPP SDK to write a GCM server a proper, necessary, and workable solution?

GCM is XMPP based, so any XMPP library can do the job, so agsXMPP will be fine for that.

Quote by DeanBlakely:
4.    Has anyone else already done what I want to do?

I think so ;-)

Alex
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters: