Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: MatriX RSS
mark@4qtrs.net #1
Member since Jun 2011 · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Questions about server support / recommendations
We have a client application that displays a list of vehicles and their locations. I am looking into XMPP and the Matrix SDK to add the capability for our server to send real time location updates to the client application. This will include messages that indicate the addition of new vehicle to the dataset, removal of existing vehicles, and updates to the vehicle status/positions.  So here are the questions...

1) Does the Matrix SDK support the creation of an XMPP server? Most of what I see people creating are clients. There are no code samples in the SDK for a server.
2) Would it even be recommend for me to create my own XMPP server? Are there existing XMPP servers out there that might support what I need to do via some kind of plugin capability?

Thanks,
Mark
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4297 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Quote by mark@4qtrs.net:
1) Does the Matrix SDK support the creation of an XMPP server? Most of what I see people creating are clients. There are no code samples in the SDK for a server.
yes you can write XMPP servers with MatriX. But I am sorry that we have no examples yet. We are working on new extensions for server programming, but it will take a while until they are available.

Quote by mark@4qtrs.net:
2) Would it even be recommend for me to create my own XMPP server? Are there existing XMPP servers out there that might support what I need to do via some kind of plugin capability?

we have many customer which do vehicle tracking. Most of them are using existing xmpp servers and use either:
  • XMPP components to extend the server
  • only custom extensions like described here

Alex
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: MatriX RSS