Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
christianhgross #1
Member since Apr 2011 · 4 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Not working with 3.7 Open Fire
About seven months ago I wrote some code that worked 100% against OpenFire. It was a little sample and I had no problems.

So last night I decided to fire up OpenFire again and I could not get anything working whatsoever.  It was completely mind baffling. So I decided to use your latest programs with the MiniClient straight from the source code tree. First the namespaces seemed to have changed. You had plenty of references to .net and .ui instead of .NET and .UI.

Then as I debugged I figured out that the SASL validation with DIGEST encryption was not working. So I turned off via code the validation. Then it logged in using PLAIN, but it would not send back messages that it worked. I try to find rooms and nothing seems to work. It just does not do anything.

What bothers me about this is that the code worked before... So I am guessing something changed, and the question is it the agsxmpp? Or is it Open Fire? Can somebody explain this? Thanks...
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4307 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I guess your server configuration is wrong. When SASL DIGEST MD5 fails then in most cases the domain is wrong. There are many posts about this topic here in the forums. SASL PLAIN includes only username and password which also succeeds when the domain is wrong but results in routing problems then.

Alex
christianhgross #3
Thank-you for your help, but I decided to give up...

seven months ago my code worked fine. Now regardless of which server I use (tried jabber2, OpenFire, ApacheMQ, and Prosody (and on multiple platforms windows/linux)) I run into some block somewhere. If it isn't one thing its another. Six months ago I remember the admin who set it up also gave but he never told me why. Now I think I know why.

But thanks again for your help. I will just go back to irc.
Alex #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 4307 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
sorry, but without logfiles and code I am unable to provide more help.
christianhgross #5
Of course I understand that.

When you talked about domain and routing it got me to think about a few things. So I do the game I usually try and that is "play combinations and permutations".  This included using different clients such as Pidgen, and Snapfire clients.

What ended up happening is that some things worked on one set of clients and then did not work with another set of clients. It was a moving target. And in my decade of consistently using open source if I can't get a simple sample running within 24 hours then I take a hands off attitude. It is not worth effort!

I actually don't think it is really the fault of agsxmpp. At first I thought it was, but then I looked at the underlying protocol and thought, "i bet the interpretation of the various requests is not identical". Hence why I also used some end client applications. This is where I saw that request interpretations were not identical.

I am not an irc user, but I got what I needed to work with irc within 2 hours. And while I dislike the irc syntax it does what I need. And frankly that is what I end up going with. So thank-you for your help. You have a very nice library, good job on that.
christianhgross #6
In reply to post #4
BTW I was thinking of providing the send and receive content, but when I inspected it I saw that it was non-conclusive. Meaning that you could look at it, provide a few hints, but short of writing the entire code would not help much. So thanks again.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS