Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: XMPP Protocol RSS
stef #1
Member since Nov 2010 · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: XMPP Facebook login in C#
I have googled a lot but I haven't been able to find any code  for C# hot to create simple chat using agsXMPP. Does anyone knows how to establish connection with FB chat using X_FACEBOOK-PLATFORM and get friend list, online users, send messages etc? I intend to try it in a simple desktop application.

Any kind of help is appreciated. Thanks
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4449 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
To connect to Facebook you don't need the X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM SASL mechanism. X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM makes only sense when your applcation is already authenticated to Facebook using the Facebook API. Then you an use the already authenticated session to login the chat without asking the user for the credentials again.
X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM is not supported by agsXMPP, its only supported in MatriX.

On this page you can get your login credentials when you click on "Other - Windows/Mac/Linux"
http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php
With this credentials you can login with agsXMPP to Facebook, get your contacts and chat.
stef #3
Member since Nov 2010 · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
Hi Alex, thank you for the reply. Page you suggested is very useful and I will try that in my app. Actually, I do have Facebook toolkit in my program and I'm connecting to Facebook with no problem. But most of the users do not have username configured on FB (even if it is simple to do it). I red that it needs to pass even a day before Facebook register new user name for chat purposes. If one wants to use my chat app it would be boring to create  username, wait a day and then try to chat from desktop app. So, this is why I wonted to have XMPP in conjunction with X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM. As I red, it would be easier to get user statuses with XMPP. But if only Matrix can work with X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM, I will have to stick with Facebook API. Thank you again, this was helpful.
Alex #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 4449 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
the X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM SASL mechanism is pretty simple and documented on the Facebook webpages. So you could add it on your own to the agsXMPP libraries.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters: