Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
zackrspv #1
Member since Sep 2010 · 29 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Roster Control
Hello there!

First off, let me say that i'm quite impressed with how easy it is to use agsXMPP, it's just amzing how easy it is to add even roster controls to forms, etc.  What i'm curious about, however, are the following few questions:

1.  Can you, instead of requesting the full roster on connect, request only a small portion of the roster (such as specific groups)?
2.  Is there a way to manage large rosters?  For example, instead of pulling a list of 500 names, etc, every time you log into the system, is there a way to cache that information, and pull from that if it exists, and then juts handle the presense updates intead of roster pulls?

Essentially, #2 above is a big thing for us, as our members can have anywhere between just a few, and about 500 to 600 or more contacts <--- large social networking site.  But, it just takes forever to parse those rosters.  So it would be easier if the information could be cached.

Is there a way to speed up that process?  Or should we just disable the app (overlay grey screen, for example, like UAC does on Vista and 7), until the roster is loaded?

THanks!
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4447 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
There is the extensions XEP-0237 Roster Versioning. This is what yo are looking for. I suggest to use our MatriX library which implements this extension. Of course you need also a XMPP server with support for roster versioning. Then you cache the roster with your app, and get only a diff of the changes when there are any.

Alex
zackrspv #3
Member since Sep 2010 · 29 posts
Group memberships: Members
Thanks alex, but i think i'll stick to the agsxMPP sdk instead.  Once the program is compiled, it actually pulls the lovely roster quite quickly, even w/ 250 people logged in, so i'm happy about that.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS